Sunday, April 27, 2008

No rush

When I began back in school earlier this year, I also began spending a few nights at my parent's home each week as public transportation to and from campus is readily accessible. As much as I am learning about Franciscan Creation Theology, I am also learning what it means to be an adult child living part-time with aging parents.

One key lesson I've learned in the past month: When on a run between 10-12 noon, "NO RUSH". If I complete a run and return home during those late morning hours, I am greeted by the voice of Rush Limbaugh and conservative political commentary blaring from the kitchen radio. If I slow down the run, I can quite literally, "avoid the Rush."

As vegan values emerge in my life, they are creating views regarding politics, religion, and food, which are very different from my parents, who often do not understand the reasons for some of my lifestyle choices, in spite my best attempts to explain them. While I respect my parents' perspectives, they are definitely not mine, and I have on a few occasions asked them if they were not listening (and especially not in the room), if I could turn off the radio, creating interesting conversation but also uneasy quiet.

Dinners each week continue to be an interesting experience as my dietary choices have shifted over the past year. Just this past week, as we sat down for dinner, I had a big bowl of greens topped with a raw vegan veggie curry (yummy) while my parents had rotisserie chicken, pasta, and zucchini. My mom put two pieces of chicken on her plate, and my dad's comment to her: "Is that ALL the meat you're taking?", implying of course that she should take more. Passive-aggressive? If you know my father, probably yeah.

In the midst of my dietary decisions, my mom does her best to understand and to support me. Yet I know from her passing comments that she does not always agree, especially when it comes to issues related to food and the environment as she has implied that she is still not convinced of global warming. I know I cannot change my parents perspectives (though I would like to). My desire is to help them understand mine.

Along with listening to Rush in the morning, my parents also read the newspaper. In looking through the paper this week with them, I discovered a new weekly food columnist, EcoChef, Aaron French. His first article: "Lower your carbon - cholesterol may follow."

Many of my parent's friends have high cholesterol and diabetes, which has created numerous opportunities over dinner for me to discuss diet, disease, and my dietary decisions with them. The EcoChef article clearly articulates the environmental connection with diet that they do not fully grasp, which is foundational to my vegan life. I shared it with my mom, who initially noticed the word, "carbon" (aka "carbon footprint" implying "global warming"), and gave me that "let's not go there" look.

I told her that the article reflects many of my perspectives on food and the environment, and that I wanted to keep it. She said to take it, but I asked her first to read it then save it for me. When I returned from my run at 12:05 pm, the kitchen was quiet, there was "no Rush", and the article was neatly folded on the table.

I have not yet asked my mom what she thought about the article. I am learning that with my parents, it is best not to push, but to be patient, to plant seeds, and to allow the process to naturally unfold. As I was officially accepted full-time this week into the Master of Theological Studies program at the Franciscan School of Theology, I know that over the next two years, there will be many more opportunities over dinner to talk. Thus, there is "no rush".

No comments: