Sunday, April 6, 2008

MY VEGGIE TALE: Part 3 - a freezer story

(For Part 1 - a weight loss story - see October 21, 2007)
(For Part 2 - a running story - see December 9, 2007)

While searching through the mysterious depths of my overly packed freezer, I discovered this week a bagged plate of frozen leftovers labeled "Paesano P/C with tort". I regularly make meals and freeze them, but oddly I did not remember this one. When I opened it up, I quickly identified the "tort" as "tortellini", but it took a few moments for me to realize that the big brown frozen "PC" glob in the container was ... a Pork Chop! How long has THAT been in there? I had no idea.

Pondering where it came from, I was reminded that just over a year ago I officially made the transition from "part-time meat eater" to "full-time vegetarian". I had been a vegetarian before (see Veggie Tale: Part 1), but did not eat healthy thus I gained a lot of weight. To lose the weight I adopted a healthy carnivore diet. I began running (see Veggie Tale: Part 2), and dropped 40 pounds. (NOTE: If you read Part 2, you'll now need to wait until Part 4 to find out the results of my first marathon).

About two years ago I read a book entitled, "What the Bible Says About Healthy Living", by Rex Rusell, which challenged me to make my fairly healthy diet, even more healthy. The three principles around which the book centers:
1. Eat only substances God created for food. Avoid what is not designed for food.
2. As much as possible, eat food as they were created - before they are changed or converted into something humans think might be better.
3. Avoid food addictions. Don't let any food or drink become your god.

What I found most insightful was his interpretation of the dietary laws in the Old Testament. He demonstrates how these regulations are really God's prescription for healthy eating. Disease (or you could say, "punishment") results when these food principles are violated and not followed. For example, he describes the digestive system of a pig as opposed to a cow. While a cow chews it cud, which gets digested multiple times, a pig eats and what it eats is immediately digested in the stomach. This means that if a pig which as a scavenger eats slop, and then you eat the pig, you've just eaten the scavenged, rotten and diseased slop. Not very clean or healthy, thus the reason for God's prohibition of pork in the diet.

The main applications from the book for me became: (1) Avoid pork and shell fish (which are filters of ocean slop). (2) Avoid refined foods like sugar and white flour. There is more, but I was convicted to incorporate these into my new eating practices, and over the next months, I lost another 5 pounds.

I live at a camp and conference facility where meals are provided for staff members. When I was eating anything, meals were no problem. I'd head to the staff dining hall and eat whatever, which is mostly (I am sad to say), meaty and fatty, with lots of refined foods. Because I was exercising, I was working off the calories and fat. Unfortunately, many of my colleagues do not, and well, I won't go into that. It's been a challenge talking with some of the kitchen staff about nutrition and healthier foods, and challenging them to make changes. They are "old-school" camp cooks.

When I decided to not consume refined foods and not eat pork and shell fish, it created all sorts of "huh?" The kitchen wasn't sure what to do about that, what to make of me. One of my colleagues is a vegetarian, and so are many of the part-time naturalists at camp. The kitchen had figured out how to feed them, but to feed me was confusing. It was easier to tell the kitchen staff that I was cutting back on carbs, and eating vegetarian, though I might eat meat on occasion. As I began to pay attention to the quality of food the kitchen was serving, wanting more whole and natural foods, I began to cut back on meat, and found myself choosing to eat meat once a day, if that.

The turning point in my vegetarian transition came just over a year ago. Because I was eating a 99%vegetarian diet by that time, the kitchen began to forget that I still claimed to be a "partial vegetarian" (or a vegetarian when I didn't want to eat what the kitchen was cooking, which was becoming more frequent). During one meal, I decided to try the meat entry the kitchen had prepared. Seeing my plate, one of the cooks said to me very sarcastically, "Why are YOU eating that? I thought YOU were a vegetarian."

I was shocked and taken aback by her attitude and tone. I don't remember my response, but I played it off. Integrity is important to me (see last's week's blog). And with the integrity of my words and actions questioned, that became the turning point. I decided right after that to cross the line, and admit to myself and tell others, "Yes, I am now a 100% vegetarian. I choose to not eat the flesh of animals or fish."

Though I've had my "oops" moments over the past year, I have not missed eating meat, and I've never looked back. In fact, I moved forward to choosing a vegan life, and even now, I am looking into a raw vegan diet, but that is for another entry in this blog.

The "Paesano P/C with tort" is now out of the freezer, in the fridge as I figure out what to do. I know I will not eat it. I have no desire to eat it. And the thought of eating the pork chop actually repulses me. It's a BIG hunk of dead animal (aka "meat"). I don't like to waste food, but I will probably throw it out. I could eat the tortellini and dump the pork chop. Or I could save it for some meat eater who comes to visit, but probably not, especially after being in the freezer for over 2 years, which is my best guess. I really do need to clean out my freezer more often.

No comments: