Sunday, April 13, 2008

You run some. You lose some. Praise God anyway.

My plan for TODAY was to run 13.1 miles in the Santa Cruz Half-Marathon. The only problem: The event occurred YESTERDAY, and I totally missed it. I had it in my calendar for today, April 13, and since registering and paying $55, I could have sworn it was on the Sunday of this weekend, but no. It was on the Saturday, April 12. And unfortunately I didn't discover my error until Saturday morning, as I finally sat down to read the reminder emails with parking instructions, route information, and so forth.

People have different motivations in running, and one motivation for me has been food. Missing the race, I "eat" the pre-registration fee, and I lose out on eating what had been my motivation for running this race an hour away in Santa Cruz. After the 13.1 miles I was going to treat myself to vegan chocolate cake at Black China Bakery! Missing out on vegan chocolate cake is probably the most disappointing part of missing the run today (along with losing the registration fee).

I've never been to Black China Bakery before, but after my cousin gave me some vegan chocolate goodies for Christmas from there, a pilgrimage to their location has been my great eating desire. I guess I'll just need to find another excuse to head down there.

In the meantime, with the warmth of spring filling the forest, I will go for a nice leisurely run, clear my head, and enjoy the wonder of new life blooming all around. I may have missed the race, but I will not miss the opportunity today to go out and praise God with all creation for the beauty the Creator has made. I hope you'll find sometime to get out today and enjoy God as well. No matter what happens in life, I believe it is important to praise God anyway.

As I am in the midst of my studies this semester at the Franciscan School of Theology, doing a comparative study of the Canticle of the Creations, may these words of St Francis of Assisi fill you with praise as you rejoice in who God is through all that God has made.

Spring has sprung and the miracle of new life is blooming all over. Let us join with all creation in praise of our Creator.

THE CANTICLE OF THE CREATURES

Most High, all-powerful, good Lord,
Yours be the praises, the glory, the honor, and all blessing.
To You alone, Most High, do they belong,
and who is worthy to mention your name?

Praised be You, my lord, with all your creatures,
especially Sir Brother Sun,
Who is the day and through whom You give us light.
And he is beautiful and radiant with great splendor;
and bears a likeness of You, Most High One.

Praised be You, my Lord, through Sister Moon and the stars,
in heaven You formed them clear and precious and beautiful.

Praised be You, my Lord, through Brother Wind,
and through the air, cloudy and serene, and every kind of weather
through whom You give sustenance to Your creatures.

Praised be You, my Lord, through Sister Water,
who is very useful and humble and precious and chaste.

Praised be You, my Lord, through Brother Fire,
through whom You light the night
and he is beautiful and playful and robust and strong.

Praised be You, my Lord, through our Sister Mother Earth,
who sustains and governs us,
and who produces various fruits with colored flowers and herbs.

Praised be you, my Lord, through those who give pardon for your love
and bear infirmity and tribulation.

Blessed are those who endure in peace
for by You, Most High, they shall be crowned.

Praised be You, my Lord, through our Sister Bodily Death,
from whom no living man can escape.
Woe to those who die in mortal sin.
Blessed are those whom death will find in Your most holy will,
for the second death shall do them no harm.

Praise and bless my Lord and give Him thanks
and serve Him with great humility.


(If you are interested in watching a YouTube video of the interpretation of the Canticle in "Brother Sun, Sister Moon", the 1972 classic of Francis' life, click here.)
.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Flores Online, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://flores-on-line.blogspot.com. A hug.