Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A Chocolate World: LaVerna Drinking Chocolate

A packet of powder and hot water. That was my long held mental model of hot chocolate. But all that changed this summer at La Verna, a mountain hermitage in Tuscany, as my first experience with drinking chocolate was simply, "pure heaven."

Since 1213, La Verna has been associated with Franciscan spirituality. It is recognized as the place where St. Francis had a life-changing encounter with Christ and received the stigmata. It is the place where St. Bonaventure composed the Itinerarium, and for centuries, it has been a spiritual destination and sanctuary for Franciscan pilgrims.

Because of its natural beauty and history of spiritual revelation, Mount La Verna was one place I had been looking forward to visiting during my Franciscan pilgrimage this summer. Yet in all my studies this year at the Franciscan School of Theology, no one had ever mentioned La Verna's association with chocolate.

After one sip of "Convento Della Verna" drinking chocolate, however, this religious sanctuary will now forever be spiritually associated with my chocolate revelation. My revelation = I really enjoy drinking chocolate.

We visited La Verna a few days into our trip. During our long bus ride from Assisi to the mountain, Brother Joe, one of our pilgrimage leaders, mentioned that upon our arrival we would break and he suggested we try their chocolate. I had never tried drinking chocolate before so it sounded intriguing, and having not located good chocolate cake in Assisi, I was longing for a chocolate fix. Thus, when the bus stopped, I was the first one at the counter, ready to order, with Brother Joe's Italian translation ready to assist.

For 2 euros, I was given an espresso cup filled with thick, warmed chocolate. It was served with a small spoon (see picture above). I gratefully lifted my drink, and took a seat as all eyes were upon me. I was the group guinea pig.

I gently stirred the cocoa brown potion, and smelled it. It had a rich, inviting chocolate factory aroma. As I lifted the spoon and slowly sipped, my eyes widened. I immediately knew I had discovered another exception in my vegan diet! After one taste, I was hooked. My chocolate palate was pleased; and with a two thumbs up review, the line at the counter formed.

Though this cup of drinking chocolate did not have the dark bitter bite (or color) that I appreciate in a chocolate cake, it had a deep, semi-sweet flavor that was very smooth, in spite its thick liquid consistency. Very simply, the warmth of the chocolate and its luscious taste were intoxicating. As I slowly enjoyed each spoonful, I was caught up in a third heaven, and I licked the sides of the cup so as to not waste one drop of this "food of the gods," as chocolate is called.

The gift shop featured Convento Della Verna chocolate bars. Watching Sister Joanne, our other trip leader, purchase four large bars to bring back home as gifts, I knew I needed to buy one. Locally made chocolate appears to be La Verna's hidden secret. As I continue to slowly enjoy my chocolate treasure back home one square at a time, I am brought back to my La Verna experience. The 53% cacao bar tastes very much like the drink I savored on the mountain back in early June.

Since returning from this chocolate retreat, I have learned a lot about drinking chocolate. In the coming blogs, I will explain how drinking chocolate is made and I will describe the differences between "drinking chocolate," "hot chocolate," "hot cocoa," and the "instant stuff." I'll also share other drinking chocolate experiences I've had since my La Verna chocolate revelation.

While Francis was transformed by a seraph at La Verna, I was transformed by a cup of chocolate. Chocolate can be a spiritual experience, and for me, there was no place more appropriate for a chocolate spiritual high than the beautiful Tuscan mountain retreat of Santuario della Verna.

No comments: