Sunday, January 25, 2009

We interrupt this series for CHOCOLATE CAKE

If you know me or if you've followed this blog, you know that I'm always in search of the "perfect" chocolate cake. My taste buds appreciate a dark, moist, subtly bittersweet chocolate cake, which is rich, but not overly dense. And for a good piece of chocolate cake, I do make exceptions in my vegan, and now, my raw vegan diet.

Though I do enjoy chocolate cakes that use animal products, for me, the "perfect" chocolate cake is one that meets my standards but is also raw and vegan. A futile search? No longer. I've found THE recipe. After my personal taste tests and three rounds of "non-baking," with slices enjoyed by a handful of my guinea pigs, I am interrupting this blog series on Globalization and Food to share my recipe of the "perfect chocolate cake" with you!



THE PERFECT CHOCOLATE CAKE: raw & vegan

3 cups walnuts
20 medjual dates (pitted)
2/3 cups carob powder (cacao or cocoa powder also work)
1 t vanilla extract
¼ t sea salt

1. Process walnuts with salt in food processor. Pulse to mix, but do not over process as walnuts will get oily. Consistency should be larger than a grain of sand but smaller than a pebble.
2. Add carob powder, dates, and vanilla.
3. Continue processing as the mixture becomes a cake-like consistency, slightly granular, like sand. When pressed together, the mixture should hold its shape.
4. Place mixture on a plate and form into shape. (It will feel like you're making a cake out of sand!)
5. The cake may be cut into slices and enjoyed as is, or you can top with shredded coconut and/or sliced fruit (like strawberries or bananas), or you can frost it with soy whip cream or a cashew nut frosting.

My taste testers have been surprised at how intensely rich this cake is in terms of its texture, color, and flavor. And who would have thought that chocolate cake could actually be good for you as dates and walnuts have wonderful health benefits? With no added processed sugars, this yummy dessert actually satisfies those afternoon craving for sweets.

Though vegan-me has been getting all the credit for this cake, it comes from Andrea Primm, raw food chef and instructor. Check out her YouTube video and watch her create this 10-minute or less recipe.

NOW BACK TO THE REGULARLY SCHEDULED SERIES
Next week:
Global Food Movements making a difference
.

No comments: